Wagon Cards

A gallery of local West Cumbrian wagon cards.

These cards were clipped to the solebars (sideframes) of wagons and identified the departure point and destination of the load. They accompanied the consignment to it's final destination and were then discarded.

Nearby Allerdale Colliery at Clifton closed in 1959

This is a wagon card for Round Coal from the Buckhill Pit, Allerdale Coal Co. Ltd., to Elizabeth Dock, Maryport.

Buckhill Pit was situated within the later Broughton Moor RNAD and was at the end of the Cleator & Workington Junction Railway's Northern Extension which branched off the C&WJR main at Northside. The former trackbed is now part of the C2C cycle route.

Size 3¾" x 2½"        T = Tons C = cwt (hundredweight).

The Beckermet Mining Co. Ltd. extracted low phosphorus hematite ore from shafts at Beckermet and Haile Moor situated near the present day Sellafield Nuclear plant. The Solway Works (dating from 1870 ) were bought by Charles Cammell & Co in 1896 and then became part of the Workington Iron & Steel Co. Ltd. in 1909, The plant operated until 1927.

4½" x 3¼"

The C&WJ railway was built by local Ironmasters to link their iron ore mines inland to their ironworks on the coast.
St. Helens Colliery was close to the present day Iggesund Paperboard site.

The West Cumberland By-Products Co. Ltd., Flimby was served by the London & North Western Railway and was just a couple of miles North of Coke Ovens Siding at Siddick on the outskirts of Workington. Siddick Junction is where the C&WJ Railway connected with the LNWR. A branch also crossed over the LNWR and looped South to access the Workington Hematite Iron & Steel Works, where Sir Henry Bessemer visited in order to solve the problem of phosphorus contamination in local hematite ores. It is probable that this card was used on tank wagons transporting crude coal tar or crude benzole - a by product of coke manufacture
3½" x 2½"

Bigrigg Mining Co. Ltd. extracted iron ore from open cast workings South of Whitehaven. The Workington Iron & Steel Co. Ltd. bought the Bigrigg company during the first World War to secure sufficient iron ore supplies for increased war-time production.

Harrington Iron Works, South of Workington became part of WISCo in 1909. The blast furnaces had been idle prior to WWI but were restarted during the war and then finally closed in the early 1920s.

3" x 2¼"

This traffic was handled by the Furness Railway over the former Whitehaven, Cleator, and Egremont Railway - "The Joint Lines"

Hematite iron ore from the Elliscales Mining Co. Ltd.,Askam, was sent to the Askam & Mouzell Iron Co. Ltd., Askam (in Furness). The A&M Co, with four blast furnaces, became part of the Millom & Askam Hematite Iron Co. Ltd. in 1890. Ironmaking continued in Millom until as late as 1969.

The iron bearing region of South West Cumbria was served by the Furness Railway Co. with headquarters in Barrow.

4½" x 3"

Kennedy Brothers Ltd. operated Roanhead Mine near Dalton-in-Furness. The card would have been used for iron ore traffic from Lindal Station on the LMS (ex-Furness Railway) line to Workington.

The card is marked "To Station Master Lindal - from KB [Kennedy Brothers] and date stamped 2 NOV 1925 on the reverse

5" x 3"

 Back to Departure Lounge