Locomotive Gallery

Locomotives employed in and around the Iron and Steel industry in West Cumberland.

Charlton

"Charlton"   A. Barclay 109/1871. A former Charles Cammell & Co. locomotive pictured at McKays Stone Quarry, St. Bees Head. 

     J McMillan collection

Ingwell

"Ingwell"  Peckett & Co Bristol  1135/1907 ex WISCo 1/1/47  Pictured at Whitehaven .

J McMillan collection

Andrew Barclay

A. Barclay 2192/1944 ex WISCo 64   scrapped 1969. Pictured at Marchon, Whitehaven.

J McMillan collection

Millgrove

"Millgrove"  Peckett & Co Bristol  1107/1906  ex WISCo  Builder's photo

J McMillan collection

Bristowe Hill

"Bristowe Hill"  Workington Iron & Steel Co. No 39  Peckett & Co Bristol  1271/1911

J McMillan collection

Millgrove

"Mill-Grove" Workington Iron & Steel Co. No 26  Peckett & Co Bristol 1107/1906  (Ex Cammell Laird & Co 12/8/09)

J McMillan collection

Avonside-1746.jpg (51709 bytes)

Workington Iron & Steel Co. 51  Avonside 1746/1916

J McMillan collection

Workington Harbour & Dock Board 17

Workington Harbour & Dock Board 17  Yorkshire Engine Co 2429/1948

J McMillan collection

Yorkshire Engine Co.
Workington Harbour & Dock Board 1  Yorkshire Engine Co 2425/1947            Drawings for this locomotive were published in the February 1979 issue of Railway Modeller magasine.       J McMillan collection
Austerity

This is ex War Department loco No. 187 a product of the Vulcan Foundry. The crew are : Frank Winthrop (shunter) and Bill Hewer (driver).

J McMillan collection

La Puce  Charles Cammell & Co.

Charles Cammell & Co No5 "La Puce"  Yorkshire Engine Co 320/1879   Ex Dronfield works, Derbyshire to WISCo 12/08/09

J McMillan collection

Robert Stephenson Hawthorn

Robert Stephenson  71  These were some of the most powerful industrial saddle tank locomotives built for British industry. They were built to a WISCo specification for slag bank duties. They had a short wheelbase and flangeless centre driving wheels.

Yorkshire Engine Co. 274

WISCo  274.    275 horsepower diesel electric.    Built at Meadow Hall, Sheffield. Yorkshire Engine Co was acquired by the United Steel Companies in 1945 and thus was a WISCo sister company and favoured supplier. 

Micklam Brickworks
YE 2775/1960 & YE 2888/1964 at Micklam Brickworks, Lowca 27/03/68.  Micklam produced refractory linings for use in the Iron and Steel works at Workington. Some of the Blast Furnace stoves refractory lining  exists in  a wall behind Stanbeck guest house in the town.   Ray Goad
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Departure Lounge