The Sandridge Bridge Renewal Project
Click on thumbnails to view larger images
In early 2004, Barry Cargill, working for Able Demolition on the Sandridge Bridge project uncovered a number of perfectly preserved double headed rails that had been buried within the concrete structure of the bridge at the time o construction. As a result, the rails had been perfectly preserved and made for an interesting time capsule allowing us to easily identify the markings and the source of the rails.
Sandridge became Port Melbourne and the bridge actually carried 4 tracks - 2 to Port Melbourne and 2 to St. Kilda.
I welcome any correspondence in connection with this project or about the identification marks carried by rails throughout the years.
|Redundant Sandridge Bridge over the Yarra River in the heart of the City of Melbourne. Looking South.|
|Upstream view of the bridge showing the 4-track viaduct with stanchions still in place from the former overhead catenary. Construction was based on the British LNER company practice.|
|North bank of the river with bluestone (basalt) abutments. Bluestone is very dense volcanic lava rock. It was exported to the United Kingdom in the 19th Century as ballast in ships and used as kerb and gutter in streets as the blocks could be cut in to rectangles.|
|Close up of cast iron pier support with some of the ornate decoration missing.|
|Hitachi electric train departing platform 10 Flinders Street Station, Melbourne for Williamstown in the Western suburbs.|
|Bridge deck on the Port Melbourne side of the viaduct looking toward Flinders Street. Concrete planks span the deck, the raised ones were located below where the rails were located. The rail formation was rails, timber sleepers, ballast, then deck. The rail planks are approximately 2m long, but on this bridge some concrete was cast in situ with rails embedded in it, bot flat bottomed and double headed.|
|On the St. Kilda line with high strength plate used to support the demolition equipment. Crown Casino is built on the former trackbed.|
|Rail with concrete removed in Able Demolition's Yard.|
|Double headed rail.|
|Wilson Cammell Dronfield Steel 2\(?) 1877 V.R.|
|Blaenavon Steel 11 82 VR It is curious how the letter N has been reproduced wrong way round.|
|Blaenavon Steel 12 82 VR|
|Blaenavon Steel 4 83 VR|
|Dowlais Steel 8 83 VR|
|Moss Bay Steel 1884 VR (flat bottomed rail)|
|Blaenavon Steel 1886 VR|
Not from the bridge project, but on a level crossing warning sign on the Frankston Line:
"Cammells Toughened Steel W.10 1889 VR 75lbs SRO"
|"......mmells Toughened Steel W. 8. 1889 75lb V.R. S.R.O.|
Back to Departure Lounge